Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Songbirds or Tweets?

Here's the latest wrinkle in the ongoing Twitter story: tweeting in church! Time Magazine thought it was worth covering at http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1895463,00.html

So would this be beneficial or a distraction? I follow @imaginechurch on Twitter and read a play-by-play of what's going on every Sunday.

Knowing some tweeters, my fear would be an ongoing discussion about the choir's latest offering or the acolyte's shoes.

What do you think? To tweet or not to tweet during church?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think...

Not to tweet.

At the same time, I feel the same way about reading other materials during service, for example the printed service bulletin. Although I try not to look at the announcements in it during any part of the service, it's so tempting, I find myself doing it any ways. And for me, it ends up distracting my mind from what is happening in the service.

I fear it would be the same if I were to receive a 'tweet' during the service.

I guess my mind wanders easily :P

During free time at an event or gathering, bible study, or daily during non-working hours, I think Twitter sounds like a great idea!

In fact, I wish I had a mobile device that was 'twitter' enabled, because I think the idea of receiving updates in regards to church related items. But currently my mobile phone is only used when needed.

Until now, I thought of Twitter as nothing more than an extreme version of FaceBook's "Status".
But after the past couple days of reading this blog, and after the IT Session at the LCC-East District convention, I can now see the great potential of this application within the Christian community.

Could this Twitter be used to engage back and forth discussion between congregational members about a bible study, sermon or service following it later on in the day?