Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The perils of life on line

Paul must have had Facebook in mind when he wrote about everything being permissible but not everything being beneficial (1 Corinthians 10:23). It reminds me of the man whose wife cautioned him not to say aloud everything that comes into his head.

One of the things you quickly learn about being online is that there is little distinction between personal and professional life: you are who you are. And on Facebook, anonymity doesn’t exist.

Younger people especially are finding this presents some difficulties. Being “out there” on line may offer potential employers insight into your life that could cause them to consider hiring someone else.

There have been times I’ve wanted to vent or post a caustic comment and then remembered that my profile says I am a Lutheran Christian, and I am director of communications for Lutheran Church–Canada as well as listing family and friend connections. I am allowed to post those comments, but are they of benefit? Will they edify or do they lead me into dangerous 8th commandment-breaking territory?

Facebook is an open arena. Unless I restrict access to specific groups, what I post on my wall is open for the world to read. That “world” includes fellow members of my congregation, pastors, believers and unbelievers. Jesus doesn’t tell us we are the light of the world only when we decide to be. We are the light of the world 24/7/365 on Facebook, when tweeting on Twitter, sending e-mail messages or in any kind of one-to-one interaction online or face-to-face.

Am I guilty of ever crossing the line? Yes.

Do I seek your forgiveness for any offence I may have caused? Most definitely.

Do I keep a more careful eye on what I’m posting? You bet.

Do I suggest it’s always a good thing to remember who you are and Whose you are? What do you think?

Are these my final thoughts on this matter?

Likely not, but allow me to quote our Lord in words He used when explaining the parable of the sower: “Whoever has ears, let them hear.”

We’re sowing some kind of seed online. Let’s make sure it’s the right kind.

No comments: