Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fun on Facebook

It’s amazing how an offhand comment can stir creative juices and bring people together.
The other day as we were preparing for a vacation in a climate a good deal warmer than Winnipeg I announced to the world on Facebook we were heading for warmer weather. My exact words were : Ian is looking forward to warmer weather for a week (could I find more alliteration??)

My Facebook friends took the alliteration reference as a challeng and so ensued some very funny, clever and witty responses. The cool thing was that two of the most active were thousands of miles apart and don’t know each other. One is in Dallas, Texas, the other in Halifax, Nova Scotia. (See the exchange on my Facebook wall...scroll down)

In days since, the interchange between these two has continued courtesy of my Facebook wall.

This is the beauty of the social media. In all, my simple reference to alliteration prompted 21 comments. A record for my page.

When I posted a comment about the Superbowl announcers using the word ‘alacrity’ a friend in Bahrain responded with a comment.

Communication without geo-political borders is amazing. It has opened a new real-time engagement within which one can establish and re-establish relationships.

Yesterday, I posted a request for prayer as my mother undergoes surgery for an intestinal problem. I received three acknowledgements, but I know many more of my friends will remember her and the surgeons in their prayers.

For me, that is community.

1 comment:

Lutheran Hour Ministries said...

We prayed for your mother this morning at LHM's chapel service.