Monday, December 22, 2008

A lesson from SPAM

Being on line has its drawbacks. One of them is SPAM. (Remember when that was a luncheon meat?) We recently changed our e-service because a new provider we began using couldn't effectively control the amount of junk mail cluttering our mailboxes.

However, one piece of SPAM arrived today and the subject caught my eye: Instant Fisherman.
I didn't click on the link, but read the sparse advertising copy about a portable fishing device.

Jesus told fishermen/disciples Peter, James and John they would be fishers of men. And so His disciples today are also fishers of men (and women and children).

When I read Instant Fisherman I immediately saw a parallel. When we use today's digital communications to share the good news of the Gospel, we are Instant Fisherman. A text message, Twitter post or e-mail arrive at their destinations almost instantly.

Right now it's far too cold for fishing–even ice fishing. But instant fishing is not climate dependent!

1 comment:

The Layman said...

Welcome to The Intl. Lutheran Laymen's League of learning bloggers and commenters. I have learned recently that I too could start a blog for the Iowa District East Intl L L L. And I am learning the steps by blogging in a local newspaper, and a family website. Our site is .http://idelutheranlaymensleague.blogspot.com/ If there is any information you would like to pass along I would also allow material from other Lutheran
Hour ministries ventures etc.