Friday, January 9, 2009

Don't over-think it

I had an interesting conversation with a younger adult about Facebook. My focus was trying to understand what drives people to Facebook and other social networking sites. What needs does it fulfill? What were the underlying social reasons for joining? etc.
I gave her my observations about Facebook being different depending on your generation. For me (a Baby Boomer), I’ve connected with friends I’d not had any contact with since high school. My sons and their peers use it to keep in contact with current friends around the world, sharing things like instant cell phone camera pictures. For those still in their teens, it’s often an ongoing diary of their emotional roller-coaster.

The young person patiently listened to my analysis and then said “That’s the problem with your generation. You are always trying to analyze. We use Facebook because it’s there!”

Message received!





No comments: