Sunday, January 25, 2009

What did he say?


Just when you think you have all the answers, someone changes the questions. That's the way I'm feeling about social media. As the various tools develop, different types of people, businesses and organizations become involved providing new ideas and insight. You know the field is drifting toward mainstream when you begin seeing research papers published.
For those interested in social media, Twitter becomes a feeding frenzy. Everyday, I see links to new research, new ideas or the latest developments. I'm following Socialmedia411 on Twitter. There is no website that I could find associated with the address, but it's good stuff.

Over the past week as I was conducting communication consultations I received a much-needed reality check. It was like a dog on a leash running too far ahead and being jerked back. I realized how easy it would be to speak for several minutes about social media and have no one understand a word I said. I guess at this point my role is to show what's happening, what is possible and lead by example as much as I can, while still having me feet firmly planted in the reality of old media.

1 comment:

The Layman said...

I was watching a insurance commercial today, and the man's comment included "When the fear subsides" And that left me wondering about the LCMS and her position when sanity returns to our economy....but in the meantime scared folks without answers have a tendency to return to the church...are we ready to calm fears and rebuild basic Lutheran Confessions in the time of need? Coming out of the fear part we might see that our LCMS has grown in numbers.